Friday, June 10, 2011

End of Year Evaluation

This reflection is based on all the things I have done in my Computer Technology class in 8th grade. I will mention my digital portfolio, general performance, how I used the design cycle and my feelings about the class.
The last project of the year was to create a digital portfolio. I think my digital portfolio was great because the colors fit well together, the text was easy to read, there were explanations for everything included, it was easy to navigate through the website and things were organized on each page. Some weaknesses, though, were that sometimes you had to scroll down the page when it shouldn’t be necessary and my partner didn’t send me all the posters she did for the IB Learner profile on time so the gallery page only included half the attributes. Mostly I am happy with my digital portfolio and know that the things which aren’t so good can easily be fixed. The digital portfolio could have an impact on my friends and family because they would see how useful it is to have one. They might create one for themselves so they can easily show people their work when applying for jobs. I already know a person who would like to make a digital portfolio and they even asked me if I could help them create it.
During this year I have performed well in my Computer Technology course. I have handed in my projects and reflections on time and always completed each project following the class expectations. I also learned some extra things that I used to make each piece of work better. Some things I could have done better were to take more time out of class to work on projects such as the IB learner profile posters. When you spend more time on a project the product is usually of higher quality. In general though I think I did pretty well this year in my computer technology class.
The design cycle is a process always used in both of my technology classes. Usually you follow it in every project (researching, designing, planning, and creating). I have followed this process for all my projects but depending on the project I spent more time on specific stages. For example for the poster project I spent more time designing then investigating but for creating a website I spent quite some time on investigating and planning before creating the website. I think the design cycle is useful because it guides me through the different tasks we are given. The stages are clear and there is a logical order which helps create higher quality work.
I have enjoyed the grade 8 MYP Technology course throughout the year. We have done various projects all helping us develop our skills and knowledge on the computer. We have mostly focused on creating websites and I find this very fun. This year has inspired me to become a website designer when I grow up. Even though I liked making the websites I didn’t make them how I really wanted to because there wasn’t enough time to focus on details, colors and format. I will remember this year as the year when I started learning about online technology.

1 comment:

  1. Lyra,

    Read your reflection is a reward for me as a teacher… and, to know that want to be a website designer in the future… wow! Go for it! It is hard to engage students in ICT projects, but when I see your interest, commitment, and quality of work, I feel comforted.

    You did a great job during the whole year, not only in class, but also as part of the Yearbook Club.

    I hope you can publish your DP in Geocities. If you cannot do it, let me know and I’ll find another web hosting service for you.

    Have a great summer and see you next year!

    Majo

    ReplyDelete