Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Exploring HTML

Exploring HTML

HTML stands for hyper-text markup language. It is a special formatted text written that includes specific words that the computer can understand. When you write this text everything you include is shown on your website. It is like the language for computers.
We need HTML to create websites because the text that we write is telling the computer what to show on the website page. You can say whether you want text, pictures, videos and other cool things. By just learning some basic HTML you can play around with colors on your website and make it look great.
I find HTML a good option for creating my digital portfolio because I can control everything that comes up on the page, unlike on blogspot. I placed the parts I wanted on the page anywhere buy just adding a few more words in hyper-text markup language. At first it was difficult to get used to the format and words I had to write to tell the computer what to do. When I got used to HTML it was pretty fun adding everything else. I thought it was going to be boring when we started making our websites because it seemed so complicated, but after doing the learning it was a lot of fun because we could apply our knowledge in a creative way.
I was very happy when I finished the two page website. It was my first website created (and definitely not the last) that taught me a little about HTML. My website is very good because the hyperlinks to the other pages are at the bottom of all the pages so this makes it easier to navigate the website. I have a clear introduction about myself on the homepage and have many ways of showing the information about my country (like, tables, lists, paragraphs). I also have many pictures that have some text underneath to describe what is going on in the picture. When websites have many relevant pictures I find them more interesting. I also used nice colors for the background, and text that you could easily tell apart. Something I could have improved on is my making the color of the hyperlinks different because the bright pink is hard for the eye to read over the purple background. For one of the pictures I could have put the caption under it so it would be easier to tell which picture it was referring to. In overall, I think I did a pretty good job creating my first website.

1 comment:

  1. Lyra,

    Now you have a better understanding on how to use HTML to create web pages. I know that it is not easy, but after some time you get used to it.

    You will see how life changes when you can use a web editor, like Dreamweaver.

    We will see all websites in class.

    Majo

    ReplyDelete